1-1banner
 
medpundit
 

 
Commentary on medical news by a practicing physician.
 

 
Google
  • Epocrates MedSearch Drug Lookup




  • MASTER BLOGS





    "When many cures are offered for a disease, it means the disease is not curable" -Anton Chekhov




    ''Once you tell people there's a cure for something, the more likely they are to pressure doctors to prescribe it.''
    -Robert Ehrlich, drug advertising executive.




    "Opinions are like sphincters, everyone has one." - Chris Rangel



    email: medpundit-at-ameritech.net

    or if that doesn't work try:

    medpundit-at-en.com



    Medpundit RSS


    Quirky Museums and Fun Stuff


    Who is medpundit?


    Tech Central Station Columns



    Book Reviews:
    Read the Review

    Read the Review

    Read the Review

    More Reviews

    Second Hand Book Reviews

    Review


    Medical Blogs

    rangelMD

    DB's Medical Rants

    Family Medicine Notes

    Grunt Doc

    richard[WINTERS]

    code:theWebSocket

    Psychscape

    Code Blog: Tales of a Nurse

    Feet First

    Tales of Hoffman

    The Eyes Have It

    medmusings

    SOAP Notes

    Obels

    Cut-to -Cure

    Black Triangle

    CodeBlueBlog

    Medlogs

    Kevin, M.D

    The Lingual Nerve

    Galen's Log

    EchoJournal

    Shrinkette

    Doctor Mental

    Blogborygmi

    JournalClub

    Finestkind Clinic and Fish Market

    The Examining Room of Dr. Charles

    Chronicles of a Medical Mad House

    .PARALLEL UNIVERSES.

    SoundPractice

    Medgadget
    Health Facts and Fears

    Health Policy Blogs

    The Health Care Blog

    HealthLawProf Blog

    Facts & Fears

    Personal Favorites

    The Glittering Eye

    Day by Day

    BioEdge

    The Business Word Inc.

    Point of Law

    In the Pipeline

    Cronaca

    Tim Blair

    Jane Galt

    The Truth Laid Bear

    Jim Miller

    No Watermelons Allowed

    Winds of Change

    Science Blog

    A Chequer-Board of Night and Days

    Arts & Letters Daily

    Tech Central Station

    Blogcritics

    Overlawyered.com

    Quackwatch

    Junkscience

    The Skeptic's Dictionary



    Recommended Reading

    The Doctor Stories by William Carlos Williams


    Pox Americana: The Great Smallpox Epidemic of 1775-82 by Elizabeth Fenn


    Intoxicated by My Illness by Anatole Broyard


    Raising the Dead by Richard Selzer


    Autobiography of a Face by Lucy Grealy


    The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks


    The Sea and Poison by Shusaku Endo


    A Midwife's Tale by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich




    MEDICAL LINKS

    familydoctor.org

    American Academy of Pediatrics

    General Health Info

    Travel Advice from the CDC

    NIH Medical Library Info

     



    button

    Friday, July 19, 2002

    My Own Fresh Hell: Yesterday I allowed myself to be tortured. Several weeks ago, in a moment of weakness, I agreed to meet with a drug rep. I never meet with drug reps. I have embargoed them from my practice for the past three years. But, this guy showed up last month and made my receptionist feel sorry for him. His supervisor was with him. The supervisor didn’t believe him when he said I wouldn’t meet with drug reps. She thought it looked like he was in trouble with his boss. He was a nice guy. He had two small children. I agreed to a future meeting out of pity, and because I didn’t want my receptionist to think I was hard-hearted. I think I was conned.

    At least, that’s what I found myself thinking as I sat there giving up more and more of my precious lunch break to his sales pitch. Not that I listened very carefully to his pitch. Instead, I thought about the enormous funds devoted to marketing by drug companies. I thought about copycat drugs, like Nexium, the drug he was selling. I thought about the legal gymnastics his company had performed to block the generic version of Prilosec from coming to the market, so they could gain time to grab more market share for the more expensive mirror-image version of it that is Nexium. I thought of how proud they are of their Nexium sales, and its market share, ($580 million dollars in 2001, and 16% of new prescriptions.) I thought of their ubiquitous ads, and of how much they must have cost. The longer I sat there, the more he seemed to personify all that is wretched in the pharmaceutical industry.

    Then, he did something that caught my attention. Suddenly his pitch became much more personal. He produced a reprint of a study comparing Nexium to Prevacid, the drug in this class which I prefer to prescribe. He mentioned that about forty percent of my patients have a health insurance plan that uses the dreaded Merck-Medco for pharmacy benefits. I have never shared any of this information with him or any other drug rep. I doubt very much if any of my staff ever has, either. It could only mean that he had resorted to the Big Brother technology available to pharmaceutical companies to profile my prescribing habits and my patient mix. It was chilling, and it was maddening.

    Finally he delivered what he thought was the coup de grace. He told me my patients were spending more on co-pays for Prevacid than they would for Nexium, for although Nexium costs around $120 a month out of pocket, it is the preferred drug for Merck-Medco because it “has met their high quality standards.” Right. I guess he thought I didn’t know that Merck profits from sales of Nexium, as well as from its twin, Prilosec.

    A person can only take so much. I dropped all pretense of politeness and told him exactly what I thought of Nexium and of his company. Needless to say, I didn’t get a free pen.

    Call for Reform: I probably could have maintained my polite demeanor if I hadn’t just read the Families USA report on pharmaceutical industry spending that morning. (The report is available on their site, but it’s in pdf format.) Not only does it make note of the disproportionate amount of money spent on promotion by the industry, it also points out that research and development are not high on their list of priorities by any measure:

    Beyond spending patterns, staff allocation reflects an organization’s focus. Staffing patterns reported by some of the companies in this study confirm the industry’s focus on marketing over research and development. In 2001, Merck added 1,000 sales representatives to its U.S. operations alone. Of the company’s 78,100 employees, 85 percent were engaged in non-research activities. Allergan reported that it had 1,700 employees in sales representative positions, which represents only a portion of all employees engaged in marketing-related activities. In comparison, 1,100 people were involved in the company’s research and development efforts. These staffing patterns are consistent across the industry. A report released in December 2001 found that brand-name drug makers in the U.S. employ 81 percent more people in marketing than in research. This study also found that marketing staffs increased by 59 percent between 1995 and 2000, while research staffs declined by 2 percent.

    I don’t begrudge a company its profits, or a CEO his just salary, but any industry that invests more in promotion than in innovation is ultimately doomed. Would Bayer have lasted as long as it has if they had relied solely on aspirin? The board members and the CEO’s of these companies need to examine their current policies and reform their spending habits. Otherwise, they’ll be left with nothing as their patents expire one by one, as they eventually must, despite their best efforts.

    Bedfellows: Opensecrets.org has more on the generic drug bill and the Pfizer/Pharmacia merger.
     

    posted by Sydney on 7/19/2002 06:11:00 AM 0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    This page is powered by Blogger, the easy way to update your web site.

    Main Page

    Ads

    Home   |   Archives

    Copyright 2006