1-1banner
 
medpundit
 

 
Commentary on medical news by a practicing physician.
 

 
Google
  • Epocrates MedSearch Drug Lookup




  • MASTER BLOGS





    "When many cures are offered for a disease, it means the disease is not curable" -Anton Chekhov




    ''Once you tell people there's a cure for something, the more likely they are to pressure doctors to prescribe it.''
    -Robert Ehrlich, drug advertising executive.




    "Opinions are like sphincters, everyone has one." - Chris Rangel



    email: medpundit-at-ameritech.net

    or if that doesn't work try:

    medpundit-at-en.com



    Medpundit RSS


    Quirky Museums and Fun Stuff


    Who is medpundit?


    Tech Central Station Columns



    Book Reviews:
    Read the Review

    Read the Review

    Read the Review

    More Reviews

    Second Hand Book Reviews

    Review


    Medical Blogs

    rangelMD

    DB's Medical Rants

    Family Medicine Notes

    Grunt Doc

    richard[WINTERS]

    code:theWebSocket

    Psychscape

    Code Blog: Tales of a Nurse

    Feet First

    Tales of Hoffman

    The Eyes Have It

    medmusings

    SOAP Notes

    Obels

    Cut-to -Cure

    Black Triangle

    CodeBlueBlog

    Medlogs

    Kevin, M.D

    The Lingual Nerve

    Galen's Log

    EchoJournal

    Shrinkette

    Doctor Mental

    Blogborygmi

    JournalClub

    Finestkind Clinic and Fish Market

    The Examining Room of Dr. Charles

    Chronicles of a Medical Mad House

    .PARALLEL UNIVERSES.

    SoundPractice

    Medgadget
    Health Facts and Fears

    Health Policy Blogs

    The Health Care Blog

    HealthLawProf Blog

    Facts & Fears

    Personal Favorites

    The Glittering Eye

    Day by Day

    BioEdge

    The Business Word Inc.

    Point of Law

    In the Pipeline

    Cronaca

    Tim Blair

    Jane Galt

    The Truth Laid Bear

    Jim Miller

    No Watermelons Allowed

    Winds of Change

    Science Blog

    A Chequer-Board of Night and Days

    Arts & Letters Daily

    Tech Central Station

    Blogcritics

    Overlawyered.com

    Quackwatch

    Junkscience

    The Skeptic's Dictionary



    Recommended Reading

    The Doctor Stories by William Carlos Williams


    Pox Americana: The Great Smallpox Epidemic of 1775-82 by Elizabeth Fenn


    Intoxicated by My Illness by Anatole Broyard


    Raising the Dead by Richard Selzer


    Autobiography of a Face by Lucy Grealy


    The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks


    The Sea and Poison by Shusaku Endo


    A Midwife's Tale by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich




    MEDICAL LINKS

    familydoctor.org

    American Academy of Pediatrics

    General Health Info

    Travel Advice from the CDC

    NIH Medical Library Info

     



    button

    Friday, October 18, 2002

    Responsibility: Here’s a study in contrasts in attitudes toward healthcare spending, and unfortunately it doesn’t speak well for physicians. A patient on how paying for medical care changed her:

    "I was more aware of my bills," DeGoory said. "I looked at the explanation of benefits much more carefully ... and just kept track of where I stood. ... When I had a checkup, my physician said she wanted to run a cholesterol test, and I asked why. When she told me why, I was very comfortable having it."

    The doctor :

    "I don't mind if patients consider cost," she said, "but I personally try not to make decisions based on cost. I try not to know anything about anyone's health insurance, so I would have to see how that sort of thing would work out. I would have to have a lot of patients with it first."

    A lot of physicians feel this way. That’s why therapy of marginal benefit gets touted so much.

    UPDATE: Here's the perspective of a self-employed, self-insured patient on the issue:

    Physicians who do not consider costs can create big problems for self-employed patients who purchase their own high-deductable health insurance. On more than one occasion I have payed for expensive tests which, I now realize (and my doctor should have told me) were marginal and probably best avoided. Such gratuitous testing, like traffic tickets that lead to increased insurance rates, can have serious long-term consequences beyond its initial cost.

    For several years after one of these tests I was flagged by "Have you ever consulted a physician for. . . " questions on health-insurance applications. At least one insurance company subsequently wouldn't cover me, and the one that would cover me required me to take the expensive test again -- to prove that the marginal "condition" that was confirmed by my first taking of the test, and that might have never become an issue had I not taken the test. Needless to say, I am now very careful about which medical tests I submit to.

    Too many physicians, in my experience, are unconcerned about the costs borne by customers like me who have high deductibles and pay for most tests out-of-pocket. Physicians also tend not to be thoughtful about the costly and misleading paper trails they may be creating via excessive testing. I understand why American physicians order so many tests, but if I as a layman can understand the institutional dynamics of medicine, then perhaps they as physicians can learn to understand better the concerns of atypical patients.

    My auto mechanic has the sense to know that if I drive an old car he probably shouldn't recommend expensive cosmetic repairs. Is it too much to ask physicians to inquire, before recommending marginal tests, how their patients are paying? At the least, physicians should do a better job of discussing the benefits and costs (including money, privacy, and paper-trail costs in our brave new world of bureaucratized, insurance-driven medicine) of an array of alternatives when they suggest optional tests or treatments. In this regard, I think the frequently encountered "I'm a doctor not a businessman" attitude among physicians does patients a great disservice.


    Yes, it does do a disservice to our patients. And it's done a disservice to our profession.

    CORRECTION: One sentence in the above quoted email should read: " At least one insurance company subsequently wouldn't cover me, and the one that would cover me required me to take the expensive test again -- to prove that the marginal "condition" that was confirmed by my first taking of the test, and that might have never become an issue had I not taken the test, hadn't progressed." I inadvertently left out the "hadn't progressed" part.
     

    posted by Sydney on 10/18/2002 07:03:00 AM 0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    This page is powered by Blogger, the easy way to update your web site.

    Main Page

    Ads

    Home   |   Archives

    Copyright 2006