1-1banner
 
medpundit
 

 
Commentary on medical news by a practicing physician.
 

 
Google
  • Epocrates MedSearch Drug Lookup




  • MASTER BLOGS





    "When many cures are offered for a disease, it means the disease is not curable" -Anton Chekhov




    ''Once you tell people there's a cure for something, the more likely they are to pressure doctors to prescribe it.''
    -Robert Ehrlich, drug advertising executive.




    "Opinions are like sphincters, everyone has one." - Chris Rangel



    email: medpundit-at-ameritech.net

    or if that doesn't work try:

    medpundit-at-en.com



    Medpundit RSS


    Quirky Museums and Fun Stuff


    Who is medpundit?


    Tech Central Station Columns



    Book Reviews:
    Read the Review

    Read the Review

    Read the Review

    More Reviews

    Second Hand Book Reviews

    Review


    Medical Blogs

    rangelMD

    DB's Medical Rants

    Family Medicine Notes

    Grunt Doc

    richard[WINTERS]

    code:theWebSocket

    Psychscape

    Code Blog: Tales of a Nurse

    Feet First

    Tales of Hoffman

    The Eyes Have It

    medmusings

    SOAP Notes

    Obels

    Cut-to -Cure

    Black Triangle

    CodeBlueBlog

    Medlogs

    Kevin, M.D

    The Lingual Nerve

    Galen's Log

    EchoJournal

    Shrinkette

    Doctor Mental

    Blogborygmi

    JournalClub

    Finestkind Clinic and Fish Market

    The Examining Room of Dr. Charles

    Chronicles of a Medical Mad House

    .PARALLEL UNIVERSES.

    SoundPractice

    Medgadget
    Health Facts and Fears

    Health Policy Blogs

    The Health Care Blog

    HealthLawProf Blog

    Facts & Fears

    Personal Favorites

    The Glittering Eye

    Day by Day

    BioEdge

    The Business Word Inc.

    Point of Law

    In the Pipeline

    Cronaca

    Tim Blair

    Jane Galt

    The Truth Laid Bear

    Jim Miller

    No Watermelons Allowed

    Winds of Change

    Science Blog

    A Chequer-Board of Night and Days

    Arts & Letters Daily

    Tech Central Station

    Blogcritics

    Overlawyered.com

    Quackwatch

    Junkscience

    The Skeptic's Dictionary



    Recommended Reading

    The Doctor Stories by William Carlos Williams


    Pox Americana: The Great Smallpox Epidemic of 1775-82 by Elizabeth Fenn


    Intoxicated by My Illness by Anatole Broyard


    Raising the Dead by Richard Selzer


    Autobiography of a Face by Lucy Grealy


    The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks


    The Sea and Poison by Shusaku Endo


    A Midwife's Tale by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich




    MEDICAL LINKS

    familydoctor.org

    American Academy of Pediatrics

    General Health Info

    Travel Advice from the CDC

    NIH Medical Library Info

     



    button

    Friday, May 27, 2005

    EMR Update: It's been four months now since my office began using an electronic medical record and I can say with a sigh of relief that I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the data entry tunnel. Twelve hundred of my patients have now been entered into the system. That's 1200 charts I've sifted through and summarized for the electronic record. I'm not sure how many "active" patients I have, (It depends on how you define active. People who have been seen within the past year? Two years? Three years?) but I believe the majority of my sickest - and most densely recorded - patients are now in the system. Which means I should be spending less time combing through charts with each passing day.

    Although the first month of using he EMR was more stressful than I anticipated, my staff are now EMR boosters. They no longer have to put a patient on hold while they go searching for their chart. They no longer have to call in prescriptions to the pharmacy (I fax them), and they no longer have to refile charts at the end of the day. No one's chart is ever lost. I've heard them tell each other they would never want to go back to the old paper-based system.

    I'm liking it, too. Documentation is much easier - and faster - with the computer system than it was with paper. So is refilling prescriptions. The patient's previous prescriptions are kept as a list in the computerized record's summary database. I just have to click on a pull-down menu to get the stored prescriptions, select the one that's needed, then fax it directly from the record to the pharmacy. It's a much faster process than the old way, which involved writing out the drug name, dosage, instructions, quantity, and refills and then passing the note back to my staff who then had to call the pharmacy and either remain on hold while the pharmacist came to the phone or recite it into an answering machine.

    Although scanning incoming paper from other doctor's offices, diagnostic centers, the hospital, and labs was initially a monunmental problem, we've got that solved now, too. I've blogged about the scanning dilemma before, but to recap, I bought a Brother MFC-8840DN, combination scanner/fax/copier hoping it would not only replace three machines with one, but that it would also make it possible for the staff to scan data into charts quickly using any computer. It wasn't until after I purchased it, however, that I discovered its document feeder doesn't work with Windows XP. It only works with earlier Windows systems. The flat bed scanner works with XP, but it's a much slower process. We contacted Microsoft who said it was Brother's problem to fix, but it provd impossible to contact anyone at Brother. I didn't want to add to the stress level of my staff, who were having trouble the first four to six weeks adapting to the new system. So...for the first two or three months, I was doing most of the scanning myself with a small portable scanner that I could easily transport from the office to home. I was spending all of my free time scanning and it was driving me nuts.

    I finally got wise and connected an old computer that runs Windows2000 to the Brother Scanner. It's set up next to the scanner/fax/copier (which also happens to be where the incoming postal mail goes) so the staff can easily scan incoming paperwork as it arrives. I was afraid they would resent the extra work, but they don't at all. Now that I'm faxing the prescriptions, they have the time to do it. And it's just as easy to scan the papers into their respective charts as it was to sort through them and put them in appropriate folders for my review. It's also a noticeably faster process using the document feeder - even if just a series of one-page results are being scanned into different charts. What used to take me an hour with the portable scanner takes about twenty minutes with the Brother's document feeder.

    Which means - I hope - that I'll be having more and more free time in the evenings and on weekends than I've had these past few months. It was quite a slog for a while, but I'm finally beginning to feel it was worth it.
     

    posted by Sydney on 5/27/2005 09:00:00 PM 0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    This page is powered by Blogger, the easy way to update your web site.

    Main Page

    Ads

    Home   |   Archives

    Copyright 2006