Sunday, July 22, 2007
A Texas man is in critical condition and facing the loss of his leg after a swim at the beach. But his attacker wasn't a shark -- it was flesh-eating bacteria.
Nice opening. He had a diabetic ulcer on his leg that became infected and landed him in the hospital. Not prudent for a diabetic to be swimming with an open ulcer. The story never identifies the bacteria, but a Texas paper says it's Vibrio vulnificus, a bacteria whose natural habitat is warm salt water. It wasn't there because the water was polluted.
Word to the wise: Don't eat raw oysters, and don't go swimming with an open wound.
posted by Sydney on 7/22/2007 07:07:00 PM 6 comments
Ok, I regret asking this but does this include females during menstruation?
By 5:13 PM, at
But, raw oysters are so tasty.
By 5:35 PM, at
Thanks Sydney. Always wondered that one. :-)
By 12:34 PM, at
I saw some Vibrio on the Southern Louisiana Gulf Coast. One time it started with a small cut from peeling shrimp. The patient died. Vibrio is no joke.
By 9:11 PM, at